Birding & Photography - African Pitta
This safari starts on 1 December in Victoria Falls with a road transfer to the exclusive Lukosi River Camp on the edge of Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe. Accommodation is in en-suite walk-in safari tents right in the heart of the pitta’s territory. Pitta sightings around camp during the 2017 season were phenomenal, and 2018 & 2019 promises to be just as good!
This excursion is led by renowned birders Derek Solomon and Casper Badenhorst; and the every experienced professional guides based at the camp who have an intimate knowledge of the pitta's movements as well as the host of other unusual species that occur in the woodland surrounding the camp making this a very special birding experience. Photo opportunities include Narina Trogon, Arnot’s Chat, Bradfield's Hornbill, Three-banded Courser as well as a host of other birds.
We have 3 nights at Lukosi River Camp giving ample pitta (and other) hunting outings! And there are just 3 guest tents meaning a small group of 6 birders/photographers.
Return by road to Victoria Falls on the final morning to connect with flights home or join an optional 4-day photo safari extension in Victoria Falls and on the Chobe River, Botswana with Casper.
The photographic extension includes:
- an option to visit to the Victoria Falls or a game drive on the afternoon of arrival
- overnight stay in Victoria Falls
- bird photography morning boat trip on the Zambezi River to look for the elusive African Finfoot as well as Rock Pratincoles breeding amongst the rocks in the river
- road transfer through to Chobe in neighbouring Botswana for 2 nights
- three themed photography boating excursions on the Chobe River
Departure flights are out of Kasane on the final morning.
African Pitta Photo Credit: Lukosi Camp